Thursday, September 15, 2005

I remember...

I got this idea from the Shipkicker and Jen-nae. I thought it was cool. Once I started writing I couldn't stop but then I did and then I started up again, then I stopped and then I started and then I finished. It may not have been worth the effort.

But here it goes:



I remember when in New York on Hot summer days the fire department would open up fire hydrants and let the kids play in the water. No matter where we were, our neighborhood or not, my dad would let us get drenched.

I remember while in school I wishedI would win tickets to a Yankee baseball game they were giving away. I won.

I remember walking to school in the Bronx.

I remember being a loud mouth smartass in middle school. My rebellious years.

I remember moving to Florida and becoming a shy quiet kid. (Which I'm sure made me the student most likely to become the unabomber)

I remember how painful it is to love when its unrequited.

I remember how at times I've wondered whether it was worth it. It was.

I remember feeling the air leave my lungs as I found out my girlfriend cheated on me.

I remember blaming myself.

I remember getting over it.

I remember not being so numb.

I remember saying some mean things to my sister and how I hated myself for making her cry.

I remember going to a river in Allentown, PA where we would spend hours swimming.

I remember how I loved to play baseball outside my apartment building.

I remember how I loved getting those Scholastic Book Fair flyers. I would never buy a book, but I thought they were cool.

I remember when days lasted forever and summers were eternal.

I remember discovering music and letting it play in the background of my life.

I remember how I felt on the first day of school. Every fall, I feel the urge to buy number 2 pencils and a backpack.

I remember selling chocolate to try to win some cheesy prize. (I never sold one, I just had my dad give me the money. Oh and by the way I never won the cheesy prize.)

I remember not blogging about stuff

I remember how too many insignificant things mattered.

I remember the day I realized those things were not worth it.

I remember being happy and then sad and then happy again.

I remember when this post had a point......


I sho' do remembah a lot of things don't I?

Thanks for "listening"


Undr(Strolling down memory lane or getting hit with a truck on memory street? You decide)

PS If you want to share things that you remember, feel free. Make yourself at home.

9 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Nice post Undr!

I remember riding our bikes all day till dark.

I remember playing baseball and hiting the neighbor kid in the nose with the ball.

I remember the time Lori fell off the swing set and got hurt, I was very sad cause my twin had to go the hospital.

I remember the time my brother rode his big wheel off our great grandmas steps and busted his head open and had to have stitches.

I remember us raking leaves for my great grandma and we found a pack of cigarretes and I smoked them on our walk home.

I remember riding my bike and a june bug flew in my mouth and I swallowed it. yuck yuck.

I remember getting my ears pierced the first time when I was 13.

I remember starting high school. I hated it. I hated the typing class I took.

I remember us moving and having to finish the last 2 yrs. of high school at a different school. I hated moving and have to start at a new school. But I ended up enjoying the new school.

I remember when Lori and I graduated. Our graduation was at night and outside. We had to hold candles.

I remember getting my ears pierced the 2nd time with some of my graduation money.

I remember my first real job and getting the my first check. Funny I washed dishes then too just like now LOL.

I remember my first love.

I remember getting my heart broke and feeling I could never love again.

I remember the day I went to get my drivers license I bumped another car in the post offices parking lot.

I remember the first time I have ever taken a trip on my own(July). I wish I could do it more often cause the feeling of the wind in my face and joy of doing it myself was awesome.

Thanks Undr I really enjoyed answering your post.

 
At 12:18 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger gunngirl said...

I loved it.

 
At 2:08 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Terri said...

Awesome post, Undr! My guess would be option 2 - the truck one!

I remember falling asleep in my father's arms in his favourite armchair not long before he died. I was 7.

I remember feeling shivers of nerves & excitement standing in the wings waiting to go on stage, and then the warmth of the spotlights when we performed the ballet "The Wild Swans".

I remember the sound of the ship's horn sounding 3 times when I got married.

I remember how my fluffy dog felt in my arms.

I remember feeling like someone had ripped my heart out when a certain someone told me he thought we should break up.

I remember experiencing a moment of pure serenity on a pebble beach in Cyprus.

I remember standing in the middle of nowhere in the Karoo (a desert in SA) watching the sunset on one horizon and an electric storm on another, with nothing for miles around me.

I remember the smell of rain on hot ground and the noise of a heavy thunderstorm in Johannesburg.

I remember my first kiss.

I remember when my mom walked my sister down the aisle to 'give her away' and as bridesmaids my younger sister & I walked just behind them; I remember feeling that at that moment we were strong, together, and nothing would ever break our bond.

I remember why I don't remember stuff too often - it makes me melancholy.

But thanks.

 
At 3:45 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger anika said...

I like this post, Undr. I sho did.

 
At 4:17 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

Great post!

I remember walking to school in the fall and trudging through the piles of leaves people raked to the curb.

I remember going to my grandparents house every sunday for 'dinner' and how great a cook she was.

I remember the science fair's I entered and lost...and the one I won. Bubbles - who knew they were so scientific!

I remember clapping erasers for the teacher when we were bad. That was a punishment when I was in elementary school.

I remember the public pool was the place to go in the summer. You could ride your bike there and stay there for hours...no worries about being abducted or abused.

What great memories...thanks Undr! (are we still supposed to say you're the greatest?)

 
At 7:17 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Jen-Nae said...

I really really liked this post. It brought back even more memories for me, thanks!

 
At 12:31 AM, September 17, 2005, Blogger shipkicker said...

undi,
you make me smile

 
At 12:35 AM, September 17, 2005, Blogger dewey said...

But my memory is really bad. It only works for obscure shit. Like phone numbers I haven't dialed in 20 years. OK, I'll try:

I remember when I figured out that Santa and my mom had the same handwriting.

I remember having a stranger point out the Canada gate to me in London.

I remember in Grade 5 when Greg asked me to go skating with him. My first date! I skated circles around him. D'oh!

I remember in Grade 11 hopping a fence to go skinny dipping at the same pool that a girl from school had poo'd in when we were little kids.

I remember driving on the QEW Skyway Bridge on the way to Niagara Falls, screaming the words to "Closer" with the windows down with my best friend, after we'd bailed on the boring after party from our high school grad.

I remember knowing we'd be friends forever.

I remember how my mom's voice sounded when she called me to come to the hospital because my grandfather wasn't going to make it through the night.

I remember him starting to cry when I told him I loved him for the very last time.

I remember realizing that K was never going to stop hurting me.

I remember when I walked out that door, claiming my life as my own again.

I remember telling Boo-Boo that because I was the first non-Doctor ever in the world to hold him, we were always going to be very special friends.

I remember staying up until 5 am laughing and talking with my friend a couple of weeks ago, the same one who was in the car on the QEW Skyway Bridge on the way to Niagara Falls, screaming the words to "Closer" with the windows down.

I remember when I wasn't so damn sentimental!!!

 
At 10:51 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger Lori said...

I remember the first time I smelled my fav perfume when I was 13 and its been my fav since. I remember the first time my luv touched my hand and it felt like electricity. I remember giving birth to my son. Undr this was a great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.